When you observe a Montessori classroom, there is not a teacher at the front telling everyone what they have to do. There is a quiet, respectful voice conversations, movements and lot of concentrated children who are motivated to work.
What motivates a child? Is it the materials or teachers or environment ? EVERYTHING…
Montessori approach is a holistic approach where each part of the process is intrinsically linked.
- Montessori classroom provides freedom to work on things they are interested in – rather than what the teacher/adult tell them or a timeline.
- It cultivate opportunities to work together, build independence, cooperate and care for others
- It helps the children to learn to respect for themselves,each other and the environment – they are truly accepted and learn to accept others.
- It generates curiosity – learning is about finding out rather than memorizing facts
- It allows them to have choices
- It keeps it real – they are not learning just for the sake of learning, but learning hot it applies in the real world giving meaning to their work.
- It gives an opportunity to discover their errors and try again
- It removes the competition and helps them look to themselves not to someone else learn from others – we can see others learning and be inspired to learn that too